The Most Common Factor for Fire Damage Repair Services
Fire damage occurs to homes quite often, and they can be an alarming thing to deal with. The National Fire Protection Association has chronicled that there are more than 300,000 house fires annually in the United States, and they are responsible for the injuries and deaths of both civilians and firefighters. Along with these numbers, businesses like Paul Davis have provided fire clean up services for many houses. It’s good to know the most common ways a house fire is caused, because any probability for fire shouldn’t be ignored. We’ve listed out the most common fire risks so that you can avoid a fire from taking place in your home.
Not Paying Attention While Cooking
Cooking is one of the more common causes of house fires, and a fire often occurs when the stove is left unattended. Many fire clean up services have been needed because of forgotten activities in the kitchen. It’s imperative to linger in the kitchen while cooking, or to have someone to keep an eye on it if you leave the room.
Accessories Using Electricity
Appliances that use electricity, such as coffee makers and microwaves should be watched after and put in places that aren’t risky. If any of your electrical appliances have a frayed cord, then they are a fire hazard. Constantly make sure your electrical outlets are not overloaded.
Candles Left Behind
One of the more satisfying features to place around the home are candles. Although they make for great decorations, they are also a big risk for fire. Make sure to blow out your candles before exiting the room, and place them in a location where they won’t fall over or burn other things around them.
When it comes to fire hazards, cigarettes are risky since they can fall to the ground and stay lit for a few hours. Smoking outdoors is an excellent idea to avoid this accident.
A Property with Damaged Wiring
Any electrical problems in your residence, such as faulty wiring, can expose your property to fire. Damaged wiring is troublesome because you can’t always see it, but here are a few things to look out for:
- Your lights dim when another appliance is in use
- You have to disconnect something in order for an appliance to work
- Your circuit trips frequently
If this is your dilemma, resolve the issue and get an electrician or call your landlord.
BBQs & Grills
For most people, a grill is a part of their residence for the summer months. Remember, it’s critical that your grill isn’t close to anything that can ignite from it. Cleaning your grill is also crucial because the buildup in it can put you at risk of fire. Additionally, you should examine the gas bottle frequently for leaks or other possible problems.
Curious Children in the House
Children are naturally curious, and fire can be alluring to them. Hide all matches and lighters in your home to keep your children free from harm. You can also train them how to deal with the incident of a fire and to memorize their address in the event they need to call 911.
Placing Flammable Contents
Certain liquids should be stored away from any source of heat, and you should always look through the label to see if they are flammable.
Every December, holiday festivity is brought into the home through Christmas trees along with a probable house fire. Cutting an inch from the trunk will let your tree soak up water, and it’s necessary to do this before you set it up. Watering your tree consistently and keeping it hydrated is also a necessary step. One more task you should complete is turning off your Christmas lights when you go to sleep. Furthermore, you could buy an artificial tree to refrain from the risk altogether.
Not Cleaning Out the Lint Trap
Fires caused from dryers are quite frequent, and that’s why it’s important to keep them maintained. To prevent your house from needing fire damage cleaning services, always clean out the lint trap before using it again, and examine the dryer duct consistently because lint can get trapped in there as well.
Avoid Fire Damage to Your Property
It’s difficult to get rid of all potential risks for fire, but understanding the most common causes of house fires can remove your risk significantly. If you have experienced any fire damage to your home, don’t hesitate to call a professional that offers fire damage cleaning services, like Paul Davis. We are fire restoration contractors that can get your property restored back to where it was before.